permaculture - [permaculture] mixed hardwood forest

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "roxann" <roxann@ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] mixed hardwood forest
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 18:11:17 +0000

I have some woods that I'd like to restore to a balanced forest. It's a mixed
red oak and hickory forest, but with all the logging that was done over the
years before i bought it, there's mostly red oak left. And i'm not sure that
the remaining un-logged forest on my land is truly balanced either. It
appears to have a healthy ecosystem, with some of the plants that are more
picky about habitats (ginseng, goldenseal, bloodroot, wild ginger, etc.). but
what trees SHOULD be there, and which should be predominant, or should there
be an even mix of trees like red and white oak, beech, maple, tulip tree,
hickory, etc? I want to replant the parts of the forest that were logged,
with trees that are supposed to be there. and how far apart should the young
trees be planted from other more mature trees?

Roxann, NW Arkansas

  • [permaculture] mixed hardwood forest, roxann, 03/22/2006