permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Extra bamboo link...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Will Carey <cure@rtinet.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Extra bamboo link...
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:51:58 -0800

Rob...

I forgot to include this link... It may be hard to find from Daphne's main
page....

<http://www.dogscooter.com/bamboo/bamboo_home.htm>

There's a new bit at the bottom about ongoing research with bamboo for
"water management".. Which I'm assuming is for the continued study of
nitrogen reuptake of runoff from pasture and fields.

Also... It's important to note... That I'm just assuming that young green
bamboo will ferment well. That's based on the belief that anything that
makes silage can be easily turned to alcohol, since silage is based on
fermentation as a preservative process. Also based on the fact that the
sugar content in bamboo is very different between the young "shoot" crop and
the mature "woody" crop... So mechanical harvesting for fermenting crops
would be viable annually with the emergent green growth from the perennial
rootstock.

Will from Oregon.

on 1/29/06 08:53, permaculture-request@lists.ibiblio.org at
permaculture-request@lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> To Will from Oregon,
>
> I'm interested in this.
>
> Could you say more about the "stillage" -- are you saying that bamboo is
> used for alcoholic fermentation, and then the alcohol goes to the stills
> while the bamboo skelatons are then processed by lactic acid fermentation
> microbes to produce a silage for cattle?

  • Re: [permaculture] Extra bamboo link..., Will Carey, 01/29/2006