permaculture - Re: [permaculture] the seedball episode

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] the seedball episode
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 16:02:34 -0500

Marimike6@cs.com wrote:
Everyone should take this sorry episode as a guide to future behavior on the part of urban police forces in America. They get very edgy when "activists" show up to demonstrate in the face of official conferences and gatherings, such as WTO and World Bank meetings.

Do not hold flowers, for instance, when confronted by the police. Imagine yourself booked and processed by a nervous young fellow ready to swear you were "brandishing a flower in a threatening manner". Assault on an officer can be a serious charge-- even if the behavior itself clearly was not. Signs, being made of cardboard on a stick, clearly are intended as weapons in the minds of such people. So for your own safety, please demonstrate barehanded.

Check out how the Flying Rutabagas fared when they came to St. Louis to demonstrate:

<< May 20, 2003
Circus Incarcerated! 5/17/2003

Flying Rutabaga greetings from St. Louis,
Our bike circus recieved a warm welcome from two collective houses here in St. Louis. The police, however, have not been so inviting. An enterage from our Flying Rutabaga Cycle Circus embarked from our housing Friday morning destined to present themselves at Biodevistation 7, a counter-conference to the Monsanto-sponsered World Agricultural Forum. We were scheduled to announce our mission to Caravan Across The Cornbelt, a 30 day, 1000 mile circus tour from St. Louis to DC.

The pro-lifers are able to harass doctors, employees and patients at family
planning clinics,
freely and without intervention by law enforcement. How are they able to get
away with this
while peaceful agricultural reform activists are not?

I guess the message is never to participate in any peacefull demonstations
regardless of how worthwhile the cause.