permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Need Green Glass for Art Projects?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kate Halstead" <rockyprairie@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Need Green Glass for Art Projects?
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 08:59:18 -0800

Although this was the wet NW, during the dry months, dust was never a
problem the way it was in areas that had no glass or just some gravel.
Seemed like with a few good rains all the small particles settled into the
crevices and I never recall it being a problem, not even when it was being
hauled in, dumped, and graded. This crusher didn't seem to powder it at all.
The finest particles were more like coarse sand and the bulk about the size
of lima beans. We did have dust, but just from the dirt/gravel road leading
into the place, never off the glassed areas.
Everyone was skeptical at first, but it wasn't long before the guy hauling
the stuff had more folks wanting it than time or material available. Several
nurseries in the area used it to pave all their secondary roads and parking
lots. Only caveat was beware where you put the light-colored loads--very
bright on a sunny day. The sparkle and glare can be quite unpleasant.