permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Annual Polyculture Design

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: N* <mudguard@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Annual Polyculture Design
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 17:51:14 +0000

Weeds not an issue.
All volunteers welcome.
Will attempt to fill all niches and those that are volunteered into are
welcome.

The key questions as I see it are:
Combination of species.
and, planting pattern/distribution (that is if you wish to "design" the
pattern)

The first is the most important.
What species and in what proportions and planted when, how.

Though in this case I wish to refine the ethos/method somewhat further and
stipulate "no-work" methods only.
Therefore all establishment will be done with seed balls.

Full (working) title for a question:
No-work Self-Fertile Annual Polycultures a Design Methodology.
Particular attention to living mulch and slash/mulch systems.

But for now just a couple of good examples should be enough.

Further to this if the polyculture is seasonal:
How to continue production after the season?
How to distribute/integrate mulch provider species: in-row/bed and
hedgebreak? (depends heavily on planting patterns eg strip/alley cropping or
"distributed intercropping")

Loads more to say on this one.
Have read just about all there is in-print, I think, Mollison, Whitefield,
Hemenway, Agroforestry texts. But am certainly well open to further reading,
in-print or online.

Further to this there are really no restrictions to this one, that is partly
it's attraction and why it's so challenging as a field: massive
possibilities, all good though.........

One additional caveat I am focussing here on annual polycultures just
because there is little detailed advice on them, I am definitely not
excluding any other combinations of perennial or mixed annual/perennial,
forest gardening and the such like.

what do you reckon.