permaculture - [permaculture] (no subject)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: sustain_ability@123mail.org
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] (no subject)
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 12:52:34 -0500

Hello!

I have a very short growing season (late May to early August, on a wing
and a prayer and no early June frost), acidic soil that's rocky (i.e.
rocks with soil interspersed) enough that trees topple over, ample but
not abundant sunlight, enough water (but need the spring melt).

I would need to lengthen the growing season but only if the
soil/hydroponic/aquaponic or similar food production systems' fertility
could be replenished with waste products (compost, manure).

This implies some sort of sheltered environment (hoophouse, hothouse,
greenhouse, lean-to, raised bed combined with removable shade
cloth/clear plastic/heat insulating material/etc.).

I would also consider a tree garden to take advantage of enhanced
sunlight and also not to cut down forest in order to farm. The terrain
is very uneven. The property was used as a homestead over 50 years ago
with small grazing animals and very limited gardening (also exploiting a
southern facing mini-slope or parcel of land of about one acre).

This is an immense challenge for a pro, let alone a newbie. I have most
recently tried a balcony garden in the city last summer, to the great
delight of the squirrels.

Thanks in advance.
George (Laurentians, Canada)
-- A huge part of the illusion surrounding the cheap oil era is that the only
alternative to modernity is the stone age.

http://www.mogiljansky.tk/ (please ignore the yahoo email address)
sustain_ability@123mail.org