permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Portable, emergency filtration equipment to create potable water for disaster relief

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kelly Finigan" <kfinigan@spots.ca>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Portable, emergency filtration equipment to create potable water for disaster relief
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:59:41 -0600

Answers to Larry's questions below...

> Post treatment might involve metering bactericides into the flow as
> needed. This is the area he was most interested in and where he has
> experience. Nevertheless he was motivated to use his expertise to
> help those in need who are affected by disasters present and future
> and create a product he could market to help stabilize his own income.
>
> Does anyone have experience with water treatment systems, low or hi tech
> utilizing mainstream or appropriate technology.

yes.

Does pre-treatment of
> non-drinkable water with a Living Machine seem to be a strategy
> worth pursuing?

not really. This is geared toward sewage treatment.

I would suggest a variation on (or the original) "Canadian Water Filter" as
produced by the company Davnor Water Treatment (and an associated non-profit
that trains aid workers). Search the web for exact details. This was
developed in the early/mid 1990's and used successfully in Central America at
first, then around the world...a pretty cheap, simple (it uses sand and
bacteria in the water) and effective solution.

Kelly