permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Peak Oil

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Bart Anderson" <bart@cwo.com>
  • To: "Permaculture List" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Peak Oil
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:50:03 -0700

Kaia Bronte wrote:

> I notice that a lot of people try to predict the future in relation to peak
> oil scenarios, armageddon, the rapture, aliens invading, and the sun
> exploding. Your guess is as good as Art Bell's I suppose.
>
> We cannot predict the future with any consistent accuracy. Making a plan
> based on an unknowable future is not regenerative--it's folly.

I wish it were possible, Kaia, to concentrate on gardening and "take no
thought for tomorrow."

Unfortunately, peak oil and global warming are two very serious problems
which require a lot of thought. I wonder if you are responding to the wild
speculation -- doomsday scenarios -- about the future? If so, I agree that
they are not very useful.

However, it is both necessary and possible to come to some general
conclusions about the future. There's general agreement that Peak Oil will
occur within the next 20 years, for example, and that the climate will become
increasingly erratic. The price of energy will almost certainly rise,
perhaps dramatically, with both economic and political consequences. The
next few decades will be a period of great change, though the particulars are
hard to discern.

Permaculturalists are well placed to weather the changes, with our emphasis
on reducing inputs and relying on natural cycles. But even permaculture will
undergo a shift, as sustainability becomes critical for survival. Peak oil
writer Richard Heinberg characterizes the coming period as "Sustainability
with teeth."

More on Peak Oil from permaculturalists:

Tim Winton of the The Permaforest Trust in Australia (AUDIO)
http://www.permaforesttrust.org.au/secondary%20pages/peak%20oil%20night.htm

David Holmgren on Energy Descent
http://energybulletin.net/newswire.php?id=524

DH: Global Energy Peak: Threat or Opportunity
http://www.holmgren.com.au/html/Writings/Writings.html
abridged version
http://energybulletin.net/2349.html

Holmgren's latest book is one of the best on the subject of a low-energy
future:
"Permaculture: Principles and Pathways Beyond Sustainability"

Best wishes,
Bart Anderson
http://energybulletin.net