permaculture - [permaculture] Local Foods

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: J Hobbs <hobbsj@efn.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Local Foods
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 15:45:34 -0700

Hello All,
--
Glad to read this thread on local foods....I'm also delighted the topic of water has been brought up again-- our most precious resource and our state government (Oregon) OWN's it all.

Below are some resources you might find of interest. I've been on the board of Lane County Food Coalition (Eugene) for quite some time now. We are involved with Farm to School programs, A Food Assessment for Lane County, local food celebrations, a Food Policy Council, and a Buy Local Buy Lane Campaign- where we have published a County Food Directory of Farmers, Farmer's Markets, Restaurants (who purchase from local farmer's), list of Community Supported Agriculture, and facts we researched indicating that we could grow most of the food we need here in the county (we are a maritime climate and our number one ag industry is growing lawn seed for the rest of the world! One of my goals is to start the conversion process of getting these acres growing food not lawns).

Wishing you a bountiful Harvest,
Jude

Agro-Ecology Northwest
Cascadia Landscape Design
http://www.cascadiapermaculture.com

Resources of organizations and articles that focus on Local Foods
Lane County Food Coalition
www.lanefood.org

Community Food Security Coalition; California (National Org)
www.foodsecurity.org

Knoxville -Knox County Food Policy Council
http://www.korrnet.org/kfpc/

The Tahoma Food System
www.tahomafoodsystem.org

Reports From Food Assessments Conducted Outside California
http://www.foodsecurity.org/cfa_outsideca.html Minnesota Food Forum: http://www.mnfoodassociation.org/twincitiesfoodcouncilhistory.htm

Article: LOCAL FOOD SYSTEMS: Promoting Sustainable Local Food Systems in the United States
Kenneth A. Dahlberg http://www.idrc.ca/en/ev-30589-201-1-DO_TOPIC.html
Onondaga Food System Council, New York

"Foodsheds and Food Circles"
Nancy Lee Bentley