permaculture - [permaculture] bats

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] bats
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:29:31 -0400

batfactoid

It takes the better part of an hour to witness the egress of
450,000 bats from Carlsbad Cavern as the sun goes down.

Last evening I saw one 3 times or 3 one time each (they didn't have time to introduce themselves; they were "batting it").
Q: I have seen this bat(s) on several occasions at about the same time of day. It always comes from the same direction and seems to follow the same path across the field and back where it came from. Do they stick to the same foraging path for any significant timeframe? Does this foraging pattern change as summer passes and food sources change?

LL

  • [permaculture] bats, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 08/31/2005