permaculture - [permaculture] September Urban Farm Schedule - Tours, Classes and Other Cool Things

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Greg <FarmerGreg@UrbanFarm.org>
  • To: Recipient List Suppressed: ;
  • Subject: [permaculture] September Urban Farm Schedule - Tours, Classes and Other Cool Things
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:20:35 -0700

Hey all,

It is not too late to get your mesquite beans picked. There are plenty of trees that I have noticed lately that are still full of beans. Get them picked, dried and stored for the milling on November 5. Also prickly pears are ripe. They make great marinades, jams and lemonade.

Fall is approaching quickly and we are preparing the garden beds at The Urban Farm for planting. In the next two weeks we will be planting directly in the ground: root crops - carrots, beets and parsnips; greens - chard, arugula and spinach; and brassicas - cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower. You can also start inside from seed tomatoes and peppers for transplanting in a few weeks. When the nighttime temps cool off in October most of the more delicate lettuces and green can be planted.

***Greg's Gardening Secret. Plant your snow peas in the next 30 days. They are a longer season crop and won't produce much before it cools off, they are very frost tolerant and will be well established so that when it warms up in February they take off. You will have more snow peas than you know what to do with.

Now for our jam packed schedule.

Greg
Curator, The Urban Farm
602-565-7045

September 3 - First Saturday tour of Beth Hoffmann's Straw Bale House in
Tempe.
September 10 - Organic Gardening class at the Calico Cow on Central
September 17 - Fruit Trees in the Desert at the Urban Farm taught by Greg Peterson.
September 23 & 24 - Scottsdale Green Building Expo
September 27 - Roof Rat Informational Meeting
October 1 & 2 - The First Weekend of the Phoenix Permaculture Design Course
October 1 - Urban Farm Tour
November 5 - The First Annual Phoenix Mesquite Bean Milling

September 3 - The Urban Farm First Saturday Tour will be at Beth Hoffmann's Straw Bale House in Tempe.

We are expanding our first Saturday tours to include other interesting sustainability sites and events throughout the valley. This months tour will be at Beth Hoffmann's 1200 square foot straw bale house in Tempe. Designed with passive solar power and a Southern exposure the average monthly heating and cooling costs are less than the price of a pair of movie tickets.