permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Arctic permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: ed sarten <esarten@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Arctic permaculture
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:22:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Lawrence,Thankyou for the speedy reply.I can fax you info on our area
next week.The people here are Koyukon Athabascan .Our climate is hottest in
alaska in summer,coldest in winter.Spruce,birch,alder,willow,tamarack is the
main vegetation.Moose ,brown&black bear,wolf,fox,wolverine otter
,martin,lynx&hare are most of our game animals.I grow
cabbage,zucchini,potato,turnip,carrot,lettuce outside june1-sept1.Things grow
large fast due to 21 + daylight hours in summer.More later .Thanks, Ed Sarten

"Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net> wrote:ed sarten wrote:

>> Hello I live on the Yukon River in Alaska and iI would like any info on
>> permaculture in arctic environments,If not maybe myself
>> and other arctic people around the globe would be interested in starting
>> study in this bioregion.Thankyou ,Ed Sarten Ag. & natural
>> resource director, Ruby Athapascan Tribe.907-468-4499

Hello Ed and welcome to the Permaculture list:

What are your needs and goals that you hope to accomplish using
permaculture principles and methods?

Gardening and farming: it would be interesting to hear about growing
conditions, climate and soil types there; also,
integration, diversity and stacked functions in agricultural systems you
might develop.

Can you integrate aquaculture and fishing int your plan; if you are
already doing this, can you describe it?

Athapascan is a name I have heard all my life but never knew what it
refered to so I Googled it and found this:

http://www.rossriver.yk.net/ATHAPASCAN.html
":*THE ORIGINAL ATHAPASCAN HOME
*There were 12 First Nation/Inuit Linguistic Families in Canada prior to
the arrival of European explorers: Algonquin, Iroquoian, Inuktitut,
Athapascan, Siouan, Kutenaian, Salishan, Wakashan, Tsimshian, Haidan,
Tlingit and Beothuk.
The ATHAPASCAN home area was northern Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba,
BC and most of the Yukon and the Southwest Northwest Territories.
The Athapasca Nations from BC and the Prairie Provinces were the
Chippewa, Beavers, Sacree, Slave, and Dene Nations. In the Northwest
Territories
and Yukon are the Dogrib, Kutchin, Kaska, Tutchone, Han and Hare."

Lawrence London
Chapel Hill, NC