permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Green Building Cost Comparisons

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Green Building Cost Comparisons
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 17:47:17 -0400

Greg wrote:

Hi all,

I am doing some research for a department at Arizona State University and we are looking for...

Any data, studies, comparisons on the cost difference between building a sustainable house and building a conventional build house. Does anybody know of anything?

If they are looking just for numbers, i.e. statistics, costs relative to labor and materials availability in various parts of the US,
that is one thing. Getting down to basics will reveal actual costs and building quality when considering cosmetics/vanity vs.
longevity/energy efficiency.maintenance issues.
1) start with energy efficiency - use passive natural cooling and heating methods first with active systems last
2) go off the grid and make do with less electric energy usage - go for natural lighting and plan to be active for work and play
during the daytime - go to bed early and get up early
3) use masonry - heavyweight block walls interiou and exterior with AAC insulation (autoclaved aerated concrete blck and panels (prestressed/reinforced) - this is even available for roof insulation)
use steel trusses and joists - metal roofing
4) concrete floor on top of AAC block on top of concrete monolithic turned down clam on grade.
5) trim and floor with wood as desired

It would be great to go further with this discussion of EE architecture aand passive heating and cooling.

More later aafter I get in from building a pen for my 49 chickens.

LL

Thanks in advance for any information you may have for me.

Greg Peterson
The Urban Farm
In VERY Hot Phoenix Arizona