permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] dream farms]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] dream farms]
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:44:02 -0400

FranksFarm@aol.com wrote:

Hi Larry,

Thanks for posting this article, which I read with great interest.

Great!

This is the kind of stuff that's been kicking around for years. Remember Ocean Arks? Seems these scientists at ISIS are getting closer to a sustainable system.

For many years and still going.

Raises many questions-since there's not a lot of details.

I'd like to know more details on cost, methods, amounts of methane produced by given inputs, etc.

In the article they were working with liter, and 5 liter sized digesters for their studies. Not very large:)

There are many ways to build digesters and a wide array of materials and equipment to use in construction.

1) decide what you plan to do on your land
a) livestock
b) domestic/household waste treatment
c) food producing gardens
d) farmscapes/permascapes-permaculture systems requiring nutrient and biomass input
e) cover cropping
f) aquatulcure and aquaponics

I would recomment using livestock manure, humanure and certain plant material to make biogas

Also there was little detail on gathering manures, etc. I can see confinement type dairies working, but what about those of us who use rotational grazing. You can't just scoop of manure -- except perhaps in winter if you supplement your beef cattle.

Where do your cattle eat? One place usually - where the hay is, and/or grain. Gather the manure from those locations and maybe
construct a facility that will make it easier to localize the manure and make it easier to harvest. I'm thinking of some
sort of grating they stand on while eating - manure will eventually fall or get washed through into a holding area. May this could double as
one component or the biogas generation plant.

This would be an excellent discussion for the list. Thanks. Frank in KY

Absolutely.

Frank, I wich you could see the 3 acres of long/parallel arrays of giant raised beds I have created with
my new/old (1970 - rebuilt) Johann Deere 3020 (70hp) pulling, in this order, 7-shank tillage tool,
Howard Rotavator, 8" RollACone one-row 4 X 24" disk 1100 lb hiller bedder. A beautiful sight to behold.
I never realized how much really fine garden soil I had out in the fields until I got all this tillage done.
Now to plant ... and weed. I will asap post a lot of pix of the beds and the equipment used to produce them.
My goal is to use this equipment to create large raised beds that, once shaped, will then become permanent
notill biointensive growing beds requiring only hand labor to maintain shape and productivity. You would appreciate this stuff.

Cheers,

LL
in NC