permaculture - RE: [permaculture] rodent-repellant herbs?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kate Halstead" <rockyprairie@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] rodent-repellant herbs?
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 06:56:46 -0700

I live in one of the mole capitals of the US--western Washington State.
Around here we all try everything to get rid of them.

My experience with mole plants show there is zero effect--they tunneled
around, through, and under the stuff. Stinky stuff in the holes (gum)
doesn't work. Devices that emit some sort of ultrasonics don't work. The
thumpers don't work---there are no gimmicks that will drive them away.

The only thing that really works is trapping or a mole-killing dog or cat.
And trapping is not a great methodology unless you commit to a long-term
solution, i.e. you will almost always have traps set somewhere on your
property. The longest I've been able to go without another mole moving in
and starting the cycle again is about 1 month.

Setting the trap is somewhat of an art-form. I can send tips to anyone
interested.

Kate
Monroe, WA