permaculture - Re: [permaculture] anyone else want to host this list?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Greg <FarmerGreg@UrbanFarm.org>
  • To: Robert Waldrop <rmwj@soonernet.com>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] anyone else want to host this list?
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 07:51:06 -0700

Robert,

Unfortunately it is not about politics. It is about people being right, which places the other side as wrong. Perfect circumstances for a war. And it is about people being unkind. If we could just look in our heart and ask ourselves how do we want to be treated then treat others that way we would go a long way.

Greg

Sigh. Permaculture politics.

I am not qualified, fortunately, to have a real
opinion about some of these detailed discussions,
being as how I have never been to a full scale
design course, only a weekend intro plus five
years or so of reading on my own, trying to figure
out concepts.

If I could have my own permaculture wish (where is
that fairy godmother when you need her?), it would
be for a way to make permaculture more accessible
to those with lower incomes.

Regarding permaculture training, as I understand
it the basic course is lecture oriented. This
being the case, I have a suggestion for a
permaculture experiment and observation. One
thing I have learned about permaculture is the
importance of observation and being willing to try
new and different choices.

What about an on-line or "distance learning"
permaculture design course? ("Distance learning"
is the modern name for what used to be called
"correspondence courses".)

It could combine the following elements:

(1) Required readings,
(2) online discussion forum (presumably limited to
the attendees)
(3) Maybe even a "chat" forum for live
discussions.

Cyberspace has both limitations and opportunities
for personal contact, about which I won't say much
more right now, but having been in cyberspace
since hmmm 1993, and moderating many discussion
groups (21 at most recent count), it is a way to
convey a massive amount of information. And
several of the groups I moderate have, over time,
developed into tender and caring human
communities, even though we are scattered all over
the world and have never met in person.

A regular program of permaculture distance
learning would help open up permaculture training
to people with lower incomes. I am not
necessarily suggesting free training, but I would
suggest a lower tuition charge than is presently
generally the case, since more students could be
accomodated via distance learning than in an
in-person course. using the internet would
eliminate the cost of travel, which adds to the
price of permaculture training, and it also
resolves the time problem. e.g., I get 2 weeks
vacation per year, so if I do a full design
course, there goes my annual vacation. And while
a permaculture course would be "getting away" from
my normal routine, I wouldn't think of it as a
vacation.

Anyway, this is my suggestion.

Robert Waldrop
Oklahoma City