permaculture - [permaculture] Seed Project Plans for 2005

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Cricket Rakita" <cricket@savingourseed.org>
  • To: <southcarolinafarmstewards@yahoogroups.com>, <growingsmallfarms@lists.ncsu.edu>, "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, "'Sustainable Agriculture Network Discussion Group'" <SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [permaculture] Seed Project Plans for 2005
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 11:07:35 -0500

The Save Our Seed Project is excited to announce that we have compiled the
seed availability surveys and we have identified the three crops that local
growers need us to focus on for 2005. They are:

. Brassicas (Primarily broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and
collards)
. Peppers (Primarily Sweet)
. Squash (Primarily varieties of summer and winter squash that will perform
well in the southeast)

We will also continue to focus on the three crops from last year, which were
tomatoes, beans, and cover crops.

On the cover crop front, we are looking for farms interested in producing
certified organic Brown Top Millet, Velvet Beans, Southern Peas, and/or
Sorghum. We are also interested in working with somebody in south Georgia
to raise Sun Hemp for seed. If you or anybody you know might be in a
position to do any this, please let me know. We expect to have
infrastructure available to assist folks that have the certifiable land and
the willingness to work with us and we can provide the stock seed.

For the rest of the crops listed, we are looking folks that can help in
three ways. First, if you have experience with any varieties of the above
that do well and might be suitable for organic production in the southeast,
please go to our forum at http://www.savingourseed.org/Forum/SeedSaving.php
and let folks know what your experiences are.

Also, we are looking for certified organic growers that are interested in
raising these crops for seed commercially in 2005. In addition, we need to
find folks that can help maintain heirloom varieties of these types of seed
by growing them out for seed on a volunteer basis. If you or anyone you
know might be able to help out with this, please be in touch with me.

Be well,

Cricket Rakita
The Save Our Seed Project Coordinator
Carolina Farm Stewardship Association
49 Circle D Dr.
Colbert, GA 30628
home/work: (706) 788-0017
fax: (706) 788-0071
cell: (706) 614-1451
web: http://www.savingourseed.org
email: cricket@savingourseed.org

  • [permaculture] Seed Project Plans for 2005, Cricket Rakita, 02/28/2005