permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Black Walnut Guild

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Black Walnut Guild
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:27:50 -0500

I haven't heard any disparaging words about black walnuts except for the word challenging (for some species). I have grown all the species Rob suggests and others besides and concur with his observations. Clovers (white especially) and field peas (a great winter salad crop) did well under them as did carrots, parsley, celery, and fennel (which suggests that other umbels ought to be tried). The alliums work just fine and because walnuts are late to leaf out, the sunshine that is available until leaf formation provides great opportunity to grow lots of salad type greens, lettuces, brassicas, spinach, etc. While I'm on the subject of greens I want to take a moment to praise mache or corn salad. I planted it a couple years ago and now it is my favorite self sowing winter salad "weed". It has tolerated temps in the low single digits and thrived. In a hoophouse it does even better and forms beautiful fat 8 in diameter rosettes.
Keith Johnson

robscott@freeshell.org wrote:

In response to the disparaging comments about Black Walnut, I'm posting my research on Black Walnut ecology and companion planting. A list of productive species for Black Walnut understory appears at the bottom.

Rob Scott

--
Keith Johnson
Permaculture Activist Magazine