permaculture - Re: [permaculture] wide shade trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <woodsjay@cox.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] wide shade trees
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:20:46 -0500

The tallest (and widest) trees in Omaha are the cottonwoods
at over 100 years old and cover 60 feet in diameter. I
believe that northern pecans will match them when full
grown as they are reputed to cover over 70 feet in diameter
(and bear nuts). Both are very fast growing and have
excellent wood for lumber. Downhill from a dam would be
advantageous for the cottonwood.

Also run the incoming water (if there is an appropriate
grade) into the pond with a wide mouthed flume so that the
water falls as a curtain from a height. This will both cool
and oxygenate the water both of which the trout need.

On Sunday 06 February 2005 11:41, Paul Wheaton wrote:
> Let me try a slightly different approach ...
>
> Can somebody suggest a tree for zone 5 that would provide
really wide
> shade?
>
> --- Paul Wheaton <paul@richsoil.com> wrote:
> > I'm preparing to dig several ponds this year to raise
trout. I'm on the
> > west slope of the rocky mountains about 50 miles south
of the Canadian
> > border.
> >
> > I know that one of the big rules is to never plant
trees on a dam.

> > I also know that if you want the pond to be cool (which
trout require) it
> > is wise to plant trees on the south side of the pond.
> >
> > What if the dam is on the south side?
> >
> > I suppose one could plant a tree that has a lot of
spreading habbit and
> > plant those at the dam edges. Any suggestions on what
variety of tree
> > that might be?

  • Re: [permaculture] wide shade trees, woodsjay, 02/06/2005