permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Energy efficient building: radiant barriers

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Energy efficient building: radiant barriers
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:38:30 -0800

Jen Seamans Blatner & Neil Blatner wrote:

One concern with putting a vapor barrier *over* insulation is that if condensation occurs it will drip onto existing insulation. Maybe better
to just add extra insulation as opposed to vapor barrier, and make sure
your roof doesn't leak. Or...

------------------------------------ tin roof

==================================== 2X4 purlin/nailer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2X11 rafter (2 X 2X6) filled with 8" Dow Foamular ridgid foam insulation
board

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.................................... 4' X 8' ceiling paneling

The radiant barrier can have 1-2" air space on either side of it to exhaust
damp air.

I need a radiant barrier to protect the Foamular from excessive heat
emanating from the metal roof during hot months
Not much air will get through or around the Foamular anyway so I assume there
won't be much opportunity for house
moisture to accumulate as condensation on the foil barrier. If the foil
barrier is installed with adequate airflow around it
wouldn't that prevent condensation from forming on it or the underside of the
metal roofing?

Here are some excelent links for renewable energy strategies, materials and
devices:

http://www.ece.vill.edu/~nick/
browse his archive of Usenet posts and his solar closet & sunspace plans

alt.energy.renewable
alt.energy.homepower

and my own archives from past years Usenet gleanings:
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/alternative-energy/

LL
--
L.F.London