permaculture - [permaculture] natural water softening

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lblissett <blissett@optonline.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] natural water softening
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:24:55 -0500

Meg,

I'm in central New Jersey. I'm not really sure what minerals are
causing the water to be hard, but the residue, the taste, and the way it
interacts with skin/hair are giveaways. In the southern part of the state,
the water is very soft (and quite delicious!).

I had a spearmint plant that had a pattern of leaf spots consistent
with exposure to hard water, but what I'm really worried about is my
gardenia. Supposedly they are very sensitive to both hard water and the
presence of salts (which, unfortunately, seems to rule out using salt to
remediate the water).

- David