permaculture - Re: [permaculture] nitrogen fixing trees/shrubs that feed livestock

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] nitrogen fixing trees/shrubs that feed livestock
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 05:42:01 -0800 (PST)

> Field peas are a lovely cover crop and can yield, in zone 7, a
> winter-long cut and come again salad vegetable (greens, not pods).

We have tried planting about 20 different annuals in the fields. The only
thing that
took without intensive care is field peas. Several varieties of clover did
nothing.
Several varities of vetch did nothing. We even tried a legume mix packed
with clovers,
vetches and medics. Nothing. Trefoil, nothing. Beans, nothing.

By "nothing" I mean that they wouold sprout, put up a couple of true leaves.
And then
wait as a sproutling for a killer frost. Or a killer heat wave. But peas
took.

We've had quite a few soil tests done and have not seen anything too scary.
Low boron
and low nitrogen. Organic matter of 2% to 5%. Most of the soils look like
gravel.

But peas do well. So I'm thinking that I should go with what works and try
to gradually
improve the soil to the point that other stuff works well too.

Trees and shrubs I can individually baby along.