permaculture - [permaculture] gumi

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] gumi
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:43:48 -0800 (PST)

Gumi are one of my favorite food forest plants, producing well even in a lot
of shade. The berries from cultivars are larger and perhaps sweeter. I love
them fresh, mixed with other fruit, or in pies. The seeds are squishy and I
just ignore them- they are supposed to be nutritional as well. They grow
super fast, are very drought-tolerant, and can be repeatedly coppiced.
Here's what Raintree Nursery says about gumi (Elaeagnus multiflora):

Each year in midsummer this self-fertile 6' tall bush is covered with
thousands of juicy red, pleasingly tart fruits. You can eat them out of hand,
though they are usually made into sauces, pies, and jellies. The full, bushy,
nitrogen fixing decidious shrub has attractive leaves with a silvery color
underneath. They tolerate a wide range of soils, and will begin bearing in a
year or two. Plant in full sun, 7' apart, or 4' for a hedge. USDA Zones 4-8.