permaculture - [permaculture] Re: Bamboo - goats?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: JSBMH2@aol.com
  • To: outlikeelijah@gbronline.com
  • Cc: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: Bamboo - goats?
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:26:15 EST

Hi Carrie,
Goats love Bamboo. Leaves at least. All my Bamboo in their field is 'Goat
pruned' at least to 6 feet. It is a wonderful winter green for them and
they
help me clean the harvested Bamboo for other uses.
That being said, Bamboo is an environmental disaster if you do not have a
plan. It is important to know that Goats do not stop the spread of Bamboo.
It
can be extremely invasive. Investigate Bamboo thoroughly before you plant,
once a spreading Bamboo takes hold it is very hard to remove. Be sure to
look at the clumping Bamboo's and see if they will work for your fence line.
All the best,
John Herndon
Norman OK