permaculture - [permaculture] Is "maxq tall fescue" a GMO?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Is "maxq tall fescue" a GMO?
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:12:39 -0800 (PST)

For years, tall fescue has been a no-no for folks grazing ruminent animals
because the
endophyte growing in tall fescue is toxic. Then there came endophyte free
tall fescues
which did not perform very well because, well, the endophytes provide a
symbiotic
relationship and help the grass thrive. Then there was edophyte enhanced
tall fescues
for lawns ....

Now, there is "MaxQ", a variety of tall fescue that has a "friendly
endophyte." Not
toxic to ruminents and the grass grows great.

Tall fescue is famous for having very deep roots and therefore being drought
tolerant.
My impression is that the endophyte somehow reduces the nitrogen needs of the
grass.
Sounds like a great permaculture variety to me.

But I wonder if it is a GMO. I can't find anything anywhere on that. And I
can't help
but think that if I call the folks selling it that they will just tell me
whatever they
think I want to hear.