permaculture - [permaculture] swamp lily?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] swamp lily?
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 20:06:00 -0800

howdy everyone,

We have an incredibly invasive plant growing in our garden - I don't recognize
it but my housemates say it's called "swamp lily." Does anyone know anything
about it or how to deal with it?

We weeded our garden last weekend and planted some California natives...and
then the "swamp lily" exploded in population! (I assume it propagates by
rhizomous roots, like other callas, and that we actually helped it propagate
while attempting to weed...) The natives are already pretty well established,
so I was going to mulch around them and try to smother the "swamp lily." If
you think this is a good idea, what ingredients would you recommend for the
mulch? Or, if you have other suggestions, they are much appreciated.

Thanks so much!

peace
*Stephanie

Stephanie Gerson
sgerson@stanfordalumni.org
(c) 415.871.5683

  • [permaculture] swamp lily?, Stephanie Gerson, 11/19/2004