permaculture - [permaculture] Slugs in Illinois (wet flat and temperate)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "robscott@freeshell.org" <robscott@freeshell.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Slugs in Illinois (wet flat and temperate)
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:37:09 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Clint-

Two more ideas on slug control:

1) Lime. A thin line makes a "barrier" against slug movement. Illinois soils won't drastically change pH or change plant growth with a little more Calcium.

2) Oxygen. 10,000,000 hectares of Illinois are drained because they waterlog and the high water table limits plant growth (while creating habitat for slugs, mosquitoes) -- I'm imagining channelizing water to oxygenated ponds, beds raised high enough to drain within a few days of rainfall, and composting all the sheet mulch materials before topdressing the beds. My honeymoon with anaerobic cardboard has ended.

Anyone know of recipes for escargot with 6" leopard slugs?

Rob Scott
Urbana, IL

  • [permaculture] Slugs in Illinois (wet flat and temperate), robscott@freeshell.org, 11/17/2004