permaculture - [permaculture] underground hobbit structure

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] underground hobbit structure
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:43:34 -0800 (PST)

I've been gearing up to house volunteers. I'm also planning on bringing in a
track hoe
this spring to build swales, terraces and some ponds.

I thought it would be cool to take a couple of hours and dig a pit in the
side of a hill
to make a hobbit home. As my mind winds through the details of such a
venture, I keep
coming back to some primary problems: the means to maintain the roof and
walls.

I would think that the structure would need to have a round door for the
entrance and the
room would be round ... a sort of dome. Maybe ten feet in diameter.

Cob seems to be called for. But there is a need to hold the roof up.

For materials, I have logs, sand , clay, straw ... I could spend a little ...

Any suggestions? Any web sites? Any books?