permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 21, Issue 37

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Neeley <dbneeley@gmail.com>
  • To: "dwoodard@becon.org" <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • Cc: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 21, Issue 37
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 19:25:15 -0600

The windspeed to reach rated power can vary greatly depending upon the
design. Engineers I have spoken with have told me that it depends upon
the various normal windspeeds for a given location, as well as the
size and design of the generator.

The large, German one is rated at 5MW @14.5 mph, or so the article I
read about it said.Of course, its blades are 126 meters in swept
diameter and weigh many tons each, so that may have a part in it as
well...plus it is built in a land-based site, so the average windspeed
may be a significant factor in its design.

As an aside, I lived for some years in Corpus Christi, Texas, on the
coast of the Gulf of Mexico. I hope there will be a windfarm developed
down there--for Corpus Christi is the city of highest windspeed in the
U.S. There, a ten mile per hour breeze is usually unnoticed by the
residents because it is so much gentler than the frequently
faster-blowing gusts. If I were to find suitable employment down
there, I would be shopping for a personal-sized wind turbine very soon
thereafter...

David