permaculture - Re: [permaculture] retaining wall

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kelly Lockamy" <garden_muse@bellsouth.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] retaining wall
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 21:28:06 -0400

> I prefer rip rap, broken up concrete. It is a waste material that looks as
> good as stone, if not better, and is available in urban/suburban areas in
> abundance. It can be stacked like stone, and painted with moss to mimick

thanks kevin.
this material is certainly in keeping with the budget (free) and spirit of
the project (re-use, recycle). i have tried the moss trick before with no
positive outcome. how long does one have to keep the wall material wet in
order for the moss to take hold? and does watering it risk washing it off?
any tricks i don't know about?