permaculture - [permaculture] Invasion Biology Book Review

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Holmgren <holmgren@netconnect.com.au>
  • To: permaculture-oceania@lists.cat.org.au
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [permaculture] Invasion Biology Book Review
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:47:23 +1000

A review by David Holmgren of
Invasion Biology: Critique of A Pseudoscience
by David I.Theodoropoulos
Avvar Books 2003
Soft cover 236 pages US$14.50

is downloadable as pdf (4pages) from Holmgren Design Services website writing page

http://www.holmgren.com.au/html/Writings/Writings.html

Quote as follows
"For many years I have felt the need to articulate a very strong positive view of naturalised plants and animals to counter the extremes of nativism. Without a strong articulation of this case, a real debate about the best biodiversity conservation strategies is not possible. Theodoropoulos has done a great service to the conservation debate by providing a very strong counter case to challenge the manifold errors being perpetrated on environment thinking and action by Invasion biology. Any short comings of this book probably reflect the author's understanding of the urgent need for a real debate. In a rapidly changing world all ideas are works in progress, in need of constant review, addition and update. It will be interesting to see over the next few years, if as a result of this book, there is an increase in the trickle of research papers published in peer reviewed journals of Ecology and Conservation Biology which do reflect a more positive view of naturalised plants and animals. It will be even more interesting if this triggers a full blown debate leading to a paridigmn shift or if the orthodoxy of Invasion biology prevails without much more than murmurings in the official scientific ranks.

In my own discussion and teaching about this subject I have already been recommending this book as essential reading for anyone seriously interested in biodiversity conservation as an integral part of the permaculture agenda. "

--
David Holmgren & Su Dennett
Holmgren Design Services

Melliodora (Hepburn Permaculture Gardens)
16 Fourteenth St,
Hepburn
Victoria
Australia. 3461.