permaculture - [permaculture] Recommended Reading re the religion/spirituality thread

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Recommended Reading re the religion/spirituality thread
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 20:12:13 +0000

Aloha,

Here's highly recommended reading IMO relevant to this thread. I'm only partway through the first section and already I would add it to any permaculture "most important" reading list. I think it speaks richly to this thread (and many others...).

"Voices of the First Day - awakening in the Aboriginal Dreamtime," by Robert Lawlor, ISBN: 0892813555

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
Scott Pittman wrote:

There is something, also, that is very magic in the unspoken, that is the primary beauty of good poetry. Bill's poetic descriptions of natural processes were very often near to evoking out of body experiences or a kind of wonder.

John Muir I find good in this way also.

>> I think that is the ultimate goal of
the deep ecology movement, to create an atmosphere of awe and wonder of nature and our connectedness. As close to church as I want to be.

Well said, Scott.

This is the paragraph I like and describes why I think there is a place for
spirituality in permaculture. A subtle state when one is in awe of the mysteries, depth and infiniteness
of nature, a state of mind when one becomes aware of the connectedness of life in the universe
and one's place in the greater scheme of things, a state of wonderment and a place where the creative juices flow.

- Eco-Living -
Whole Systems Design Services
People - Place - Learning - Integration
john@eco-living.net