permaculture - [permaculture] Need sources for tractor implement: hiller or set of hilling discs {|+|} Yeomans Plow

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU, permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [permaculture] Need sources for tractor implement: hiller or set of hilling discs {|+|} Yeomans Plow
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 14:05:19 -0700

I.

I have a hiller consisting of 4' toolbar with 3 point hitch with a 3 disk
gang on each end.

I am looking for a new (or used) set with a different configuration:

1) 4' toolbar with 3 point hitch with a 4 disk gang on each end
2) 6', 7' or 8' toolbar with 3 point hitch with a 4 disk gang on each end
3) multiple toolbars (one behind the other with front one connected to a 3
point hitch with). Each toolbar would
have its own pair of gangs of discs (possibly two discs each). I have been
told that KMC (maybe a North Carolina company)
made/makes one of this design.

If anyone knows of sources for this implement I would appreciate your posting
contact infomation for them.

II.

I am planning to buy two Yeomans Plow shanks (26") with all available sweeps, points and shin guards from Market Farm Implent (http://www.marketfarm.com/). I will mount these two plows on a 4" toolbar with 3 point hitch. I will use this tool to rip through my elaborately prepared raised beds (44' wide X 14" tall, 6" below grade), slicing the bed lengthwise in three equal segments, to increase water holding capacity and depth of tilth and break up/fracture compacted underlayers. These beds were built from soil enriched with 4 different kinds of rock quarry pond fines, rock phosphate & greensand, chicken manure, rotten silage, good quality, clean, locally-made compost and large quantities of rotovated-under rye grass. Implements used were, in this order: 40" rotovator, 48" 7-tine tillage tool (heavy spring tooth cultivator), hilling discs set wide on 7' toolbar (produces a perfect raised bed with small crease down the middle which can be used to increase water penetration).

Any feedback on setup and use of the Yeomans would be appreciated.

LL
--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net

  • [permaculture] Need sources for tractor implement: hiller or set of hilling discs {|+|} Yeomans Plow, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 07/17/2004