permaculture - [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 17, Issue 25

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 17, Issue 25
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:36:21 -0600

A system I have seen over and over again which seems to work great is rabbits over compost pile/worm bed. The rabbit cages are usually about 4.5 to 5 feet above the ground; their droppings and urine fall to the ground underneath which is covered in carbonaceous material, usually weeds and grass from the garden and kitchen scraps. This is obviously a zone one enterprise. Worms seem to thrive in this environment and the resultant compost is a mild wonderful addition to the garden.

I have also seen this system using guinea pig in the Andes.

Scott