permaculture - Re: [permaculture] earthworks, methods and equipment

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] earthworks, methods and equipment
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 11:31:33 -0700

darren@permaculture.biz wrote:
Hello,
I trust that this greets you and all well.

I have been using (contracting with) my keyline plow since 1994 I think
so I can help with any queries you may have. I also have all of the
yeomans attachments - plus a few I have welded up.
I wrote an article in 1996 for an Australians farming magazine on the
subject of using a keyline plow (or similar rigid tyne implements) for
soil development using pattern cultivation. I think a copy of the text
is on my website (www.permaculture.biz) from memory - if not I can send
it to you. I have plenty of photos as well.
Q's.

Hello Darren, I thought the mention of Yeomans plow would bring you out of
the woodworks. :-)

1. Are you getting a 4" yeomans tool bar with two shanks?

Two shanks but I will make my own toolbar with factory 2 pt hitch or buy the
whole toolbar system from a US supplier

2. Why only two shanks rather than three?

Too much horsepower required especially sijnce I will be using all the
rearward sweeps and maybe the hillers too.
I have access to a 45 hp tractor with operator. I assume three shanks would
be too much for a 45hp machine.

3. Are you aware that there are two types of shanks - a 22" shank with a
3 tonne breakout shear pin and a 26" with a 5-6 tonne breakout shear
pin?

I had some idea that there were shanks available with several lengths. I am
guessing that the 22" would be whai I will make best use of.
I will be buying the Yeomans system from Market Farm Implements in
Pennsylvania.

4. With the water channelling are you talking pattern cultivation or
what?

Causing water to go into the earth and be directed to areas it would normally
go to with the runoff pattern following the existing grades.
What is pattern cultivation? Sounds interesting.

5. Are you going to contract or hire out the plow?

No. I will use it on my mini farm only. I might let a friend use it on some of his land so he can find out if he wants to invest in a Yeomans too.

6. Are points supplied in the USA with tungsten tips or hardfacing?

I will have to check the literature on this. I think they are a new type that are "consumable", i.e. you mount them in a way that the metal in them gets used up completely. Which type do you recommend?
Cheers,
Yours and Growing,
Darren J. Doherty

--