permaculture - [permaculture] "Societal" zonation and "evolution"

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Donna Jones" <djones@kodiak.alaska.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] "Societal" zonation and "evolution"
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:46:03 -0400

Zonation is such a good tool that I hate to see it blunted by mixing
metaphors. Used as originally conceived, it orders and clarifies the
physical aspects of a site in a way that immediately transfers to another
person. ('Zone 1 is as far as my hose reaches', for example.)

It is most imprecise to speak of society and ideas 'evolving' !
Developing; renewing, growing, changing, disintegrating, maturing, yes.
Even site plans and sites do not evolve, but again are changed, grow, die
out, colonize or are colonized, and so forth.

The essence of PermaCulture is that it is a created order. Permaculture
did not just happen randomly.

Donna Elizabeth