permaculture - [permaculture] Bahamas Permaculture Project Manager Needed

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Orgain <vermontgardens@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Bahamas Permaculture Project Manager Needed
  • Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 09:07:11 -0800 (PST)

JOB OPPORTUNITY

Permaculture Project Manager

The Cape Eleuthera Island School, Eleuthera, BAHAMAS

The Island School is a semester abroad program for high-school students
focused on place-based education. Our organization is currently
experimenting with alternative models for living in this sub-tropical
climate. On-site examples include the largest renewable energy system in The
Bahamas (hybrid wind-solar), constructed wetlands for black water processing,
solar hot water production, bio-fuels research, and applying principles of
permaculture design to our challenging site.

The Permaculture Project Manager will oversee the further expansion of our
food systems, will continue our overall site design, will continue building
relationships with local farmers, and will direct a student research project
in permaculture. A strong science background is a requirement for the
position. Responsibilities will also include the management and expansion of
our tropical plant nursery, seeding and harvest scheduling of our vegetables,
personnel management, tropical fruit orchard management and expansion, and
plant and technical research.

The ideal candidate will have experience in tropical agriculture, vegetable
farming, permaculture systems, and will have a permaculture design
certificate. Advanced plant propagation skills, including grafting, are also
great asset for the position. Seed saving and collection is an important part
of our project. Experience in site design using permaculture design
principles is also requested. Organization skills are a must, as there are
extensive systems requiring management.

Futher commitments involve work in developing and coordinating outreach
programs and internship programs, as well as maintaining and expanding
relationships with the Bahamian government and local agricultural extension
agents.

Initially, the position will require a three-month commitment. During this
time the Permaculture Project Manager will work under the two existing
Permaculture Project Managers who will be replaced at the end of the
transition period. It is anticipated that a successful candidate will be
offered a one-year contract following the initial three month commitment.

The compensation for the position is $3000USD, room and board, and a $500USD
travel stipend.

Applications should include letter of intent for the position and a
professional resume. Please send documents to David Orgain at
davidorgain@islandschool.org or call 242-359-7625.