permaculture - [permaculture] Durable alternative to asphalt?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Durable alternative to asphalt?
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:40:58 -0600

I'm working on the permaculture & landscape design to a new 40 acre campus being built by Organic Valley. We're putting in employee gardens, 5 acres of prairie, edible landscaping in the parking lots, & hopefully a 20 acre demonstration farm in the future. Also in the design is an iniative to keep the whole place certified organically since that's the benchmark of the industry we're in. The biggest disappointment with the process so far is that they are having a 250 car parking lot complete with the asphalt. None of the alternatives that have been looked into so far will hold up to a lot of freezing & thawing & in some years a lot of snow plowing. Anyone have any experience in a northern clime with something other than gravel, asphalt, & these permeable tiles which shift around & would make it hard for snow plowing?

mIEKAL