permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fires in pits; was: Re: Soapstone

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Neeley <dbneeley@yahoo.com>
  • To: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fires in pits; was: Re: Soapstone
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 16:03:26 -0800 (PST)

Keith,

Sounds like you're covering the bases! My comment was
directed to those who are yet to build, to suggest why they
should emulate your example if they want a fireplace or
stove to actually help heat their homes.

For folks who don't have the need for a soapstone high-mass
solution or an air-tight woodstove, a fairly simple Rumford
fireplace also makes great sense--assuming it is built with
a good, tight damper that is used when the fireplace is
not. In fact, a well-built Rumford is superior to many of
the cheap stoves like the copies of the original Franklin
type and to all other open fireplaces of which I am
familiar.

David