permaculture - [permaculture] FW: Alternative Insurance cooperative and finance discussion group forming

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Chuck & Linda" <clearned@bminet.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] FW: Alternative Insurance cooperative and finance discussion group forming
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:17:49 -0600

Greetings,
This financial discussion reminded me that folks on this list might be interested in a newly formed discussion group.
There is a new discussion group formed and we are inviting folks interested in the topic of exploring how to insure or better yet cooperatively protect our important investments such as our homes. Hopefully we will also discuss how to cooperatively finance our alternative homes and endeavors. Instructions on how to join follow below.
Here is an intro written by a generous person who is sponsoring this advertising free discussion list.

An important question that continues to resurface with regard to "alternative" homes is that of INSURANCE. It appears that many insurers hesitate to insure alternative homes, and those that have in the past are tightening up their belts and dropping anything which is even slightly out of the ordinary. Or hiking the rates.Part of this of course is because insurance companies work by averaging risk, and alternative homes (and espeically owner-built homes) are unknown quantities to them. They don't know if there will be qualified contractors available to repair any problems which might occur, and they don't have any solid data on the cost of such repairs.Recent discussion on at least a couple of discussion lists indicated interest in pooling the interests of builders and homeowners from the alternative building community in order to find solutions to this continuing problem. Ideas such as cooperative self-insurance, or working an arrangement with some of the more open minded insurance companies have been suggested. Perhaps you have other ideas, and are interested in moving them forward.

Here's my holiday gift to the alternative building community: a new listserv for discussion (and hopefully some solutions) regarding the question of insuring our unconventional homes and other buildings. Without any annoying advertisements, I might add.To join, send an email to:

AltHomeIns@lists.greenbuilder.com

with SUBSCRIBE in the subject line.

Sign up, let's get talking.

  • [permaculture] FW: Alternative Insurance cooperative and finance discussion group forming, Chuck & Linda, 01/05/2004