permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Access road run-off control strategies.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kelly Finigan" <kfinigan@spots.ca>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Access road run-off control strategies.
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:43:17 -0700

Antonio:

on the side with the ditch you could lay in periodic straw bales (if
available) instead of rocks to prevent erosion. Rocks actually speed up the
water flow and can INCREASE erosion unless the whole ditch is covered in
rock...strawbales act as "mini-dams", slowing water and catching sediment on
the upslope side. This also creates a small wind-sheltered, slightly moist,
fertilised planting "pocket" good for placing your favorite N-fixing, berry
or coppicing shrub (e.g. caragana, hawthorne, willow, etc). Over time, these
shrubs will further reduce the water flow.

An important design feature would be to provide straw bales/shrub plantings
at frequent intervals so runoff cannot build up enough to wash out your work.

Happy New Year!
Kelly

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 00:53:35 +0100, Antonio Scotti wrote