permaculture - [permaculture] Southwestern U.S. Greenhouse

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Arlene <skywatcheraz@earthlink.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Southwestern U.S. Greenhouse
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 17:48:27 -0700

Hi all,

I just joined the list and am hoping to get some ideas on solar greenhouse design in the Southwestern United States. I live in Tucson, Arizona. We have very hot, dry summers, with temperatures hitting 100-110 degrees F for much of the summer and mild winters with occasional night temperatures below freezing.  We have lots of sun year-round but can't grow tropical plants outdoors due to the low winter temperatures and the hot, dry winds of the summer. The biggest challenge seems to be moderating the heat in the summer. Conventional greenhouse design tends to overheat the plants. We plan to use evaporative cooling but wonder about other strategies to control temperature extremes. Does anyone have experience with greenhouses in this type of climate?

Thanks,
Arlene

  • [permaculture] Southwestern U.S. Greenhouse, Arlene, 12/28/2003