permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Poplar trees may be new draw for pig farms

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude William Genest <genest@pivot.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Poplar trees may be new draw for pig farms
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:22:40 -0500

Poplars also a good species with which to do biotecture so that you could weave/bind the branches of closely spaced poplar plantings to make a virtually impenetrable ( and decorative) fence/fedge.

Also, though the poplars are being planted in a monocrop in this application, nothing prevents the use of a diversity of species - willow comes to mind - and why not fruit/nut trees to provide a further yield of livestock forage ? ( the sludge contaminated food couldn't be worse than the garbage their being fed - at worst it would be compost material that could then be used as mulch for the fedge...)

I understand the argument that providing a solution to this problem may be tantamount to encouraging more of these awful practices, but that doesn't change the fact that permaculture design can turn even this magnitude of problem into a solution - especially since this solution deals with the larger issue of our need to reforest...

Claude

Claude