permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Re:rainwater

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "WWOOF Taiwan" <wwooftaiwan@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Re:rainwater
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 10:42:07 +0000

Hi all,

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, here's an extensive source of information on rainwater collection from the International Rainwater Catchment Systems Association. The website lets you access hundreds of research papers on the subject: www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/ircsa

Side note: Roof rainwater harvesting may be the only solution to sustaining huge population densities like we have here in Taiwan (though this solution is currently overlooked). Because of "concretization", currently 80% of rainwater in Taiwan rushes into the ocean as runoff, first causing erosion, landslides and floods along the way. Taiwan has an enormous rainfall of 2,500mm per year, yet we still experience droughts every year because people don't know how or why to catch the rains.

Meng Lei