permaculture - [permaculture] Sheep

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marsha Hanzi <mhanzi@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Sheep
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 12:22:32 -0800 (PST)

Hello Antoino,

Marsha Hanzi here, from dryland Brazil... Sheep are good grass mowers, very rustic, don´t eat much, can be friendly. But any milk animal needs higher grade fodder, and I  don´t know how easy it is to handle milk sheep?.  As it is a school I wonder if you would not be better off with two milk goats, which can be tethered and which bond more easily to humans, so the kids can pet them. Milk goats are not especially good grass mowers though they will eat some. They are rustic ( or can be, according to race), and love garden prunings ( hibiscus bushes, for example), should be easy to feed with so many kids around..( Have to locate a male, though..)  They need to have their feet dry but are quite tolerant to temperature extremes.

I met a man in Hawaii who had a successful business using ducks to mow grass.  Look at Joel Salatins´book "Pastured Poultry for Profits"- that might be an easier solution...It´s basically a little house that you push around the yard, to a new spot every day...

Marsha Hanzi
Instituto de Permacultura da Bahia
www.permacultura-bahia.org.br

Do you Yahoo!?