permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Where is the Focus on Energy

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "georg parlow" <georg@websuxxess.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Where is the Focus on Energy
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 20:51:24 +0200

> What I am thinking of is not permanent insulation, but temporary
> insulation for poor people who are unable to heat their entire
> dwellings. Would this be a problem with short terms situations, e.g.
> the coldest 2 months of the year?

yep - put a matress against a badly insulated (=cold) wall in a heated room
with mammals in it, and the thing will be soaking wet within days. of
course, the porblem decreases with the temperature in the room - more
heating, more watercollection. so if the people just barely heat enough to
make it through, it might be less of a problem. but it should still be
checked regualrely, and dried up if necessary.

> Keeping cool in August is as much of an
> issue for us as keeping warm in January.

yea, i am sure glad that i now live in a house that stays nice and cool,
provided i keep everything shut between 8am-8pm - and of course have
everything open the rest of the time. well, "nice and cool" might be
relative - it is still warm enough to move about without an inch of
clothing, and i am usually more on the warm side. we are currently
experiencing a new record high in central europe - no rain for months,
beyond 30 deg celsius for more than 30 days in a row, record highs beyond
40...

> "cost effective" is also a function of the price of energy, and as the

yea, i thought the same thing when you explained, that you use the electric
heater for "cost reasons"

> underground or earth sheltered housing, in part because of the riotous

there is a beautiful design around, incorporating a annual heat storage with
quite simple means - something like a looong air pipe winding in - cant
remember the name of the guy...

keep it going
georg