permaculture - [permaculture] Viridian Principles Response Part One

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Gaden@ziplip.com" <Gaden@ziplip.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Viridian Principles Response Part One
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 21:04:00 -0700 (PDT)

Re: John Schinnerer's - "Viridian Principles - They contradict themselves,
though: >Platonic visions of absolute reality, and Christian visions of
eternity, are very unhealthy for bipedal mammals in a biosphere. and >Don't
mistake mystic wish-fulfilment and the promptings of your unconscious for
objective evidence. So they don't want absolute reality (or at least not
someone else's...;-)but they do want objective evidence. Good luck!"

I suppose I interpreted this a little differently. A biosphere is essentially
a closed system. Thus solutions to problems need to come from within the
system. In other words, systemic solutions that need to be integrated within
the whole (holistic).

I know fundamentalist Christians who believe in apocalyptic theology. That
is, 'The End' is not only nigh but it is also inevitable, unavoidable, and in
fact desirable. The 'chosen anointed ones' will be protected from harm by
divine intervention. Then the really really good stuff
(paradise/heaven/eternal glory) comes after the (evil) system collapses. They
dismissively discard the imperatives of environmental issues as being
unimportant and insignificant against the warm glow of personal celestial
glory.

Others believe in paternalistic technocratic gods. That what ever happens,
SCIENCE & THE MEGACORPS, will come to the rescue. Us, 'little people' simply
have to get on with our lives best we can, safe in the assurance that we will
be looked after. Just keep paying off those credit cards, mobile phone bills,
and the household mortgage. It will all be okay. Trust us.

Both views abrogate individual responsibility for initiating solutions at an
intimate personal level.

In another post, John Schinnerer said "IMO it's important (and core to Design
practices, PC or otherwise) to not limit ourselves to what is proposed by
others, but to create what we want."

Sustainability issues will inevitably have to be addressed at the personal
level. Arguably, Govts & Megacorps are not interested in low-cost, achievable
and sustainable technologies (such as ancient technologys). For the simple
reason that there is not a high enough profit margin.

If you can sustain and supply for your own needs within your own allotment
boundaries, you vastly reduce the opportunities for Govts/Megacorps to
take/tax/charge away their (rightful?) share. Heck, these
politicians/executives don't want to actually work (uggh!) for a living.
(sorry, that's a bit cynical)

An exception to that is where Govts/Megacorps can see (shortsighted as they
are) a looming systemic failure that may threaten the efficacy of their own
operations.

For example, I can think of a municipality which for decades used local
building bylaws to prohibit individuals from rainwater harvesting. (Household
rainwater-tanks) Water rate charges were an important component of local
government income.

Then climate patterns for the region began to change. Annual rainfall became
erratic and reduced. Water levels in regional dams & weirs fell to
dangerously low levels. The population looked like possibly running out of
drinking water. Then 'overnight' individual rainwater harvesting became
legal, fashionable and heavily promoted.

Large scale research projects into issues such as alternative energy sources
are obviously important and necessary. But there is the risk of replacing one
energy hegemony with another. Perpetuating the disempowerment of individuals
to also persue their own levels of sustainability and thus reducing their
'ecological footprint'.

Gaiden

  • [permaculture] Viridian Principles Response Part One, Gaden@ziplip.com, 06/30/2003