permaculture - [permaculture] News from the Urban Farm in Phoenix

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Greg Peterson <Greg@Permaculture.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] News from the Urban Farm in Phoenix
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 06:31:52 -0700

Title: News from the Urban Farm in Phoenix
Hi all,

Thank you for your continued support.  We have a lot of exciting things going on here at The Urban Farm from a really nice article in The Arizona Republic to a very successful class last weekend. Please enjoy our newsletter and if you have any questions or comment email us back.

Positive Publicity
Seeing the Farm
What's Growing
Fruit Tree Adoption Program
Volunteer Opportunities
Killing weeds with the sun.

Positive Publicity
A very nice reporter (Linda Helser) from the Arizona Republic came and toured the farm a couple of weeks ago.  We visited for a while, she took some pictures and this was the outcome.  I think that she did a very good job of representing what we are up to.  Thank you Linda.  Here is the online version of the article.  http://www.azcentral.com/community/articles/0611Oasis0611Z2.html

Seeing the Farm
We will continue to have opportunities to see the farm and ask questions.  Our next opportunity will be Saturday June 28th starting at 7am.  Organized tours will be at 7:30, 8:30 or 9:30 and will be given by Farmer Greg.  He will cover the processes and systems that have been put in place and some methods of converting your yard space into a farm.  Donations accepted.  The farm is at 6750 N 13th Place.  Nearest cross streets are Glendale Ave and 12th Street.  We are just south of Glendale on 13th Place.  602/279-3713 for more information.

What's Growing
We are currently harvesting hot peppers, sweet peppers, herbs, eggplants, artichokes, peaches, and apples.  The pears will be ripening in August.  We are not currently planting anything new.  The next growing season starts in late August with peas, beans, root and leaf crops going in.

Fruit Tree Adoption Program
We are also approaching the time to begin thinking about our bare root tree order for the fall with tree arrival in January.  This year we will be ordering apples, pears, apricots, plums, peaches, nectarines, figs, pomegranates and a few other specialty trees.
We will be offering fruit tree classes this fall with pruning and planting classes being offered when the trees arrive at the end of January.

Volunteer Opportunities
There is always plenty to do around the Urban Farm and better yet there is always a plethora of food to harvest and take with you, plus there are plenty of opportunities to learn.  We will begin doing some work projects her in July, if you are interested in learning more email Farmer Greg (respond to this email.

Killing weeds with the sun.
Now is a great time to be prepping your garden for the fall, if you can stand the heat.  I usually work in the yard early and am in by 9am.   Last Saturday we have a class on on weed management with the sun.  Here are the cliff notes.

The best thing to be doing right now is controlling weeds.  One method of managing weeds is called solarization, which is essentially cooking the soil.  This process is great for the elimination of nutgrass and Bermuda.  Solarization is a last resort to weed control and you definitely want to use it instead of chemicals.  Here are Greg's four simple steps to solarization.

1. Start early in the summer so that you can use this process for at least 3 months.  Start by using a shovel or potato fork to turn the soil and remove any existing plants and weeds.  Fluffing the soil down to 12" to 18" is appropriate and the deeper you fluff the soil the better the solarization will work.

2. Rake the soil flat and remove any large obstructions such as limbs, roots or rocks.  Then fully water the soil.  You can also prewater the soil so that digging is easier.

3. Cover with plastic, either clear or black will work.  Use something to hold down the edges of the plastic and it is best to seal the edges as best as you can to retain the heat.

4. Leave the plastic on for at least three months.  It is a good idea to at least once a month remove the plastic and water the ground.  This helps germinate any remaining seeds.  It is also a good idea to till the soil once half way through the solarization process.

Have a great gardening month.

Farmer Greg
--
The Urban Farm