permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re:not about aluminum or barium

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Russ Grayson <pacedge@magna.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re:not about aluminum or barium
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 12:34:21 +1000

On Saturday, May 31, 2003, at 04:18 PM, D.A. Riley wrote:

Your opinion on TV, news and political debate. Once again,  valid points each of them. Lumping 281 million people into a category of  "don't see the rest of the world very clearly", is a mix of sophmoric and aggressive.

Maybe it's too much to lump that many people into a category, but maybe, too, there is a basis for the comment. This comes from the observation of non-American media commentators. They say that, in general, the US mainstream media focuses mainly on internal US affairs to the expense of coverage of international news. I am aware that this is a point of issue within US media outlets currently as well, with cuts in recent years to newsgathering overseas and to international news staff within organisations.

In contrast, the Australian media - principally the government-funded independent national media such as the Special Broadcasting Service (SBS) and the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) - provides a responsible mix of international and local news in its bulletins. Maybe I can speculate by suggesting that this is due to the fact that Australia's 20 million people are reliant upon international trade for their economic prospects more than the citizens of the US ( which is why the Australian government is an enthusiastic participant in the globalised economy). The US has sufficient population for a bouyant internal economy; Australia does not. While that may account for a healthy international focus in the Australian media, so too does the strategic situation of this country, with the world's most populous Moslem nation a couple hours flying time to our north, a detoroirating internal security situation in the Pacific Islands (PNG, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu) and an unpredictable North Korea, now with nuclear capability.

Some critics go further and say, without being 'anti-American', that the US population, in general, is introverted and has a poor knowledge of world affairs. Now, it's hard to generalise on such things - I could find examples of this in rural Australia too - but it has been said as a constructive criticism, not out of a motivation to upset Americans.

Ever hear of the Murdochs? Rupert himself owns a monopoly on US information sources, including news and TV. Australian isn't he?

American citizen, actually. Born in Australia.