permaculture - [permaculture] Re:not about aluminum or barium

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "D.A. Riley" <permascape@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re:not about aluminum or barium
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 23:18:13 -0700 (PDT)

From: Bob Howard
Subject: Re: [permaculture] aluminum and barium detox

Firstly, you don't seem like the sort to be sorry to upset anyone, being an avid flamer. I can understand your anti-American stance and I hear ya about the American educational system.

Many people in the USA spend their lives trying to bring justice to the educational system, improving the standards of education and opportunities to those on the margins. It is a shame we don't have the same educational opportunities as Australians.

Thing is, the US boasts 72,000,000 school age people. This fits in the larger picture of 281 million folks in the States. It is a huge system of politics, finance and social reality and is therefore not as easy as saying, "bad system, change now". (There are police stationed in highschools these days; yikes!)

Whereas, Australia is sporting a population number orbiting 20 million total population. Hmmm, ya think it's easier to maintain a higher educational standard? Southern California has over 20 million; think of it as all of Australia packed into the Southern part of West Australia.

Your opinion on TV, news and political debate. Once again,  valid points each of them. Lumping 281 million people into a category of  "don't see the rest of the world very clearly", is a mix of sophmoric and aggressive. Ever hear of the Murdochs? Rupert himself owns a monopoly on US information sources, including news and TV. Australian isn't he?

Point...there's a point here, what was it....? Go to America and be part of the solution. Educate folks on the importance of Earthcare and sharing surplus,  people care. Americans are people. Help find the solutions to fix the systems that are ailing; Permaculture. The problems, solutions.

On an ending note, being educated is a privilege in many countries, not a given right. Think about directing your talents in the positive direction. I've read some things you've written before Bob and you can be coherant, contributing some intellectual ideas and encouraging debate. When the writings start to turn bitter and dominating, I turn off and others get lost. If you choose to direct scientific knowledge and permaculture in this fashion, your efforts suffer. Share your surplus, share Permaculture.

Good luck to you ,

DA

p.s. you related to John, George's deputy?

> Sorry to upset you mate but I looked at the refence to Barium and
> Aluminium in soils and that led to me a wonderful world of contrails,
> aliens, and conspircy theories. IMHO it behooves PC people to
> discriminate between reasoned science and superstitious nonsense.
>
> If people post superstitious nonsense from whatever side of the
> pacific ocean here - they'll likely get flamed by me.
>
> As to the education system in your country -
>
> (1) locally based administrations that lead to creation science being
> taught in schools. Never happen here except in privately run religious
> schools.
> (2) there is a long standing widely acknowledged gap between the
> standard of high school education in Amerika and other english
> speaking countries (specifically Aust, NZ and UK - can't comment on
> Canada, India etc. etc.) Certainly an Australian undergraduate degree
> in science has traditionally been regarded as the equivalent of a post
> grad degree from U.S. universities.
> (3) by your fruits shall you know them - look at your TV and news
> coverage and the level of political debate in your country. Sorry I
> forget, you've nothing to compare it too because you don't see the
> rest of the world very clearly
> (4) I'm sure there are many intelligent citizens in your country but
> every one of them that I've got to know personally has had marked gaps
> in their knowledge about ideas and the rest of the world.
>
> Bob Howard

Do you Yahoo!?